Radio beyond Borders
"Re:fiction Radio" is supported by two teams.
- Radio Re:volt / Graz, founded in 2019 at Radio Helsinki as "Snapshots from the Borders", reorganized in 2022 as "Radio Re:volt"
- Radio VC Mytilini / Lesbos, founded in 2022 on the Greek island of Lesbos.
In the Re:Fiction teams, mostly "people with international history" work together.
"International history" refers to sociologist Aladin El Mafaalani's term as an alternative to designations coined by people without these histories/backgrounds, designations which we critically reflect on in our teams.
We intend to create common spaces where everyone can express themselves without being discriminated against because of religion, language, origin, class, gender, age and/or sexual orientation.
We are guided by the Charta of the Community Radios in Austria and collaborate with people, institutions and organizations that share our values.
Listen to Re:fiction Radio
You find our broadcasts at the Radio Helsinki program. You can listen live locally or worldwide: In Graz at 92,6 kHz or via stream. We provide Podcasts for listening on demand.
Tune in - Live on Air or streaming:
- Radio Re:volt: biweekly on Wednesdays, 14:00 - 15:00 (CET), Thursdays 20:00 - 21:00 (CET)
- Radio VC Mytilini: biweekly on Sundays, 11:00 - 12:00 (CET), Tuesdays 19:00 - 20:00 (CET)
Radio VC Mytilini
Your eyes and voice from Lesbos.
"Voices of Mytilini" is a project run by people from different backgrounds. Our aim is to empower people so that they can use our space and equipment to express themselves on the Island of Lesbos.
We intend to create a community that tries to facilitate different dialogues and provides perspectives from different communities regarding politics, economics, social and cultural life. In order to achieve this, we want to empower people from a variety of backgrounds to learn the skills that they need to set goals and to achieve them on their own terms.
We are open two days a week for interested people or groups to come visit us to get information, trainings or just to hang out.
Reach us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Radical migrant radio with passion.
The "Radio Re:volt" group in Graz consists of people with international history who come together to gain empowerment throughout doing community radio. By doing so we learn, grow and share. We learn how to use radio equipment, grow in journalistic skills. We collect new connections through doing interviews with communities and activists. And finally, we share collective solutions against acute problems such as racism, discrimination, sexism, and inequality that we face in our everyday life with the listeners of Radio Helsinki.
We invite all with or without international history to join us in Graz anytime. Gain knowledge and experience in using community radio, do networking and take the role as citizen journalists in order to overcome discrimination.
Reach us by email: email@example.com
The "Re:fiction Radio" Story
- Season 1: We spoke with people who stood up for refugees and organized help. When in 2015, at the border with Slovenia, near Spielfeld-Straß, the state failed to support refugees by the minimal humanitarian standards. In cooperation with Südwind-Styria.
- Season 2: We built an international editorial team and addressed the struggles for women's rights, affordable housing, music and art, education and Border Crossing Spielfeld. In cooperation with Südwind-Styria.
- Season 3: Focused on questions of development and global south-north dialoge. The topics were education, income and agroforestry for women in rural Kenya, the Sprachenfest Graz, issues of inclusion (>rotor<) and poetry as intercultural interpretation (uniT), the fight of indegenous people in Amazonia. In cooperation with Fair Styria.
- Season 4: "Re:fiction Radio": Through a new cooperation we expand and strengthen our networks and meet new people for two years. The Snapshots from the Borders editorial team is now in close contact with the emerging team of Radio VC Mytilini on the Greek island of Lesbos. In cooperation with ASFhub.
- Season 5: The present state of our project. Two Teams. Two broadcasts. Two podcasts. More people involved. Beyond borders.